Dutch Baby Pancakes
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of cane sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon of The Ultimate Cake Spice by My Fabulous Food
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- confectioner's sugar
- real maple syrup
- mascarpone, optional
- strawberries, optional
Tools: 10-inch cast iron skillet, mixing bowl, whisk
1) Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2) In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, sea salt, lemon zest, and The Ultimate Cake Spice. Whisk until combined.
3) Place butter into the cast iron skillet, and place the skillet in the oven until the butter is melted. Note: Watch the butter carefully to make sure it does not burn.
4) Once the butter is melted, add the batter mixture into the skillet.
5) Place the skillet back into the oven for 20 minutes.
6) After 20 minutes, reduce the temperate to 300 degrees, and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the pancake from the from the oven. Note: The pancake should rise and have a nice bowl shape.
7) Once the pancake is cooked, top with confectioner's sugar. Slice the pancake, and top each slice with strawberries, a dollop of mascarpone, and maple syrup. Enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from NYT Cooking.