Small-Batch Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 28 minutes
Cool Time: 1 hour
Yields 6-7 cupcakes
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon My Fabulous Food's Flake Sea Salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- My Fabulous Food's Fleur De Sel, for topping
*Optional: drizzle with pre-made caramel syrup as well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 6-7 cups of a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter and both types of sugar in a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.
- Run the mixer on medium-low as you add the dry ingredients in small increments until well combined. Occasionally stop to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk as you run the mixer on low. Stop once all the milk is incorporated.
- Add a little less than ¼ cup of batter to each lined cup of the muffin pan.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-18 minutes or until a tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven, transfer them to a cooling rack when cool enough to remove them from the pan, and leave them to cool for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, add the brown sugar, butter, and milk to a saucepan over low heat.
- Occasionally stir until the brown sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook for 4-6 minutes or until bubbles form at the center and the mixture becomes amber in color. Do not stir the brown sugar mixture during this time.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the caramel to a heat-safe bowl. Set aside to cool until the caramel is at room temperature.
- Mix the caramel with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Slowly add the confectioner's sugar until the frosting is thick and creamy.
- Frost the cupcakes with a butter knife, small offset icing spatula, or a piping bag for a more polished presentation.
- Top each cupcake with a pinch of My Fabulous Food Fleur De Sel and enjoy.